When it comes to recording and editing an audio file, there are numerous tools available to perform this task, but few have been able to remain in effect as long as Audacity does, thanks to the number of options and effects it has.
Audacity also has the advantage of being easily integrated into the different operating systems that exist, including Mac which you will learn below how to download Audacity on this platform and get in it everything you need for the handling and management of audio files.
How to download Audacity for Mac
- The process to download Audacity on Mac begins with the entry in the official Audacity page in which you must click on the Download option of the menu located at the top.
- This will take you to another page where you will find separate download options for each operating system, from which you will have to choose the one that corresponds to Mac.
Depending on the browser you are using and the configuration, it is possible that the installation file will be downloaded automatically in the download folder of your Mac computer.
- If not, then a window will appear in which you can select the path in which you want to store the file extension DMG. Once this is done click on Save file to start downloading.
- Once finished, locate the file and click on it to mount it. This will display a DMG window in which you should not double-click on the Audacity folder icon, but you should click on it and drag it to the Applications folder icon on the right.
- After doing this, enter the Application folder, then into the Audacity folder and click on the Audacity.app file to run it and start installing the program.
Sometimes the security settings of Mac OS X version 10.7 or lower may prevent the program from running.
If this situation arises, right-click on the Audacity application in Finder, then choose the Open option and finally in the dialog window that appears select Open.
After having completed the installation process of Audacity on Mac, you will only need to integrate to the program the functionality to export files in MP3 format, through the installation of the LAME library.
- To do this, go to the LAME page and in the line where it indicates Mac OS X USERS click on the link that corresponds to the architecture in which the operating system of your Mac runs, either 32-bit or 64-bit.
- By doing this you will be directed to the links associated with the architecture you have chosen among which you must click on the link accompanied by the text RECOMMENDED download.
Download LAME library 64 bits
Download LAME link 32 bits
- When the download is finished, locate the file in the download folder of your Mac computer and click on it to start the installer.
At this stage Mac will show you a warning message about the file before running it. Click on the Open button to continue the process.
After doing this a window will appear in which you must click on Continue to advance with the installation of the library.
Then you will see a window in which you must enter the administrator user and password to authorize the installation.
When the process is finished, start the Audacity program, click on File and then select the Export audio option. There you will be able to check if the library was installed correctly when you see within the options to generate the audio file to export, the MP3 format.