Nowadays, with the massification of social networks and the presence of video platforms such as YouTube and Dailymotion, the creation of content has become an activity that could be considered part of the daily life of millions of people.
It is for this reason that many people are increasingly in touch with the use of audio and video editing tools.
One of them, Audacity, a program designed for recording and editing audio, is one of the most popular, which, since its launch, has established itself as a benchmark in terms of audio editing, in addition to the versatility it presents to be installed in different operating systems that exist, including Linux.
If you are a user of this platform and have audio editing skills, then know how to download Audacity for Linux and discover all the functions that this tool has for you.
How to download Audacity free for Linux
As far as downloading Audacity on Linux is concerned, there are two methods available to perform this procedure.
Method 1: Download Audacity for Linux using the command terminal
This is one of the easiest to download Audacity on Linux, for which you only need to carry out the following instructions:
- Open the Linux command terminal. You can do it pressing the keys CTRL + ALT + T
- Type the following command and execute it
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/Audacity
- This will allow you to incorporate the Audacity PPA into your computer’s Linux system. Enter the administrator password in case it is requested to validate the execution of the command.
In case this is the first time you are performing this process, the system will ask you to press the ENTER key to continue.
- After doing this, continue placing the following command and execute it to update the list of packages of the Linux system:
$ sudo apt-get update
- Finally, you must insert the following command to start downloading Audacity on Linux
$ sudo apt install Audacity
After doing this, you only have to wait a few minutes until the process of downloading and installing Audacity has been completed.
Although the explanation has taken the Linux Ubuntu distribution as a reference, the steps performed are also applicable to Linux Mint distributions and other Linux distributions based on Ubuntu.
Method 2: Download Audacity for Linux using GUI mode
If you are a recent user on the Linux platform and the first method does not seem easy to follow, then you can use the Graphical User Interface (GUI) to download the Audacity application on Linux by performing the following steps:
- Go to the All Application section by clicking on the icon in the lower right corner of the Linux desktop.
- Look for the Ubuntu Software option and click on it to open it.
3. Once there, click on the search symbol represented with a magnifying glass located at the top right of the screen.
This will take you to a page where you must enter the word Audacity in the search bar that appears there.
4. Then when the Audacity icon appears accompanied by an Install button click on it to start the installation of the program on the Linux system.
After finishing the installation click on the Launch button to open the program.